Creating a New LabGroup
The most common group in RSpace is the LabGroup. LabGroups can be created for any subset of users, to bring together these users and their documents. They will always be set up as having a PI (Principal Investigator) in charge of and overseeing the group's work. You can read more about LabGroups in LabGroups.
Creating a Group
In the Community Edition, every user has an option to create a group, and an existing LabGroup PI can create groups with themselves or someone else as PI.
Note that in RSpace Enterprise Edition, LabGroups are created and managed by your RSpace System Admin.
- Navigate to the My RSpace tab
- Click on Create LabGroup
- Click on Create Group
- Choose a descriptive name for the group, then click on Next
- Next, select whether to make yourself PI or to nominate someone else, then click on Next. Any group created will require a PI as a point of contact and basic administration purposes. For more information about LabGroups and roles, see LabGroups.
Creating a new LabGroup with yourself as PI will instantly generate a group on the system and contact anyone you have chosen to invite to be group members by email (both registered RSpace users and/or external addresses can be contacted).
If nominating someone else as PI, enter the e-mail of the individual you wish to invite as PI into the box which appears – RSpace autocomplete will offer options of known users as you type, or you can enter the full address of any other non-registered individual (they will be asked to sign up to RSpace before becoming a PI). You will become a LabAdmin for this group.Please note that if selecting someone else as a PI, the group will not be created and invitations to potential members will not be sent until the PI approves the group.
- Add emails to the invitations list to invite members when the LabGroup is created. Entries in the known users box will be autocompleted, and non-registered users can also be invited by typing and entering in the second box. Further users can also be invited any time after the creation process is completed.
- The final page will display a summary. You can still go back at this stage and change details. After you have reviewed you can then click Create LabGroup to complete the process.
- You will be notified that your new group has been created. You can then either create another group, or review the newly created group within the My LabGroups section (My RSpace > My LabGroups).