Importing Content into RSpace
When you start using RSpace you’ll probably already have a large amount of existing content that you’d like to access from your ELN. These might include existing shared laboratory documents (protocols, SOPs), shared data files and personal protocol files/notes.
You might also want to reimport RSpace data that was exported as an XML archive (see Migrating Data from Community or Test Server to Enterprise), for example in the case where a lab relocates to a different institution and wants to transfer their data to the new RSpace instance.
Import options include:
- From Microsoft Word documents
- From Plain text documents
- From RSpace XML exports
- Import from Evernote
- From Protocols.io
- Using the RSpace API (which can be used for custom bulk import from another ELN-- just get in touch!)
Below are options for importing content that will be turned into native RSpace documents. You can also import data into the Gallery, where the files are stored in their original state (see The Gallery).
Importing MS Word and plain text files as RSpace documents
- In the Workspace, click on Create, then on From Word
- Use Browse to select Word, Open Office, or plain text files to import. RSpace will attempt to import any file that can be recognised as plain text, regardless of file type.
- Your documents will go into the current folder by default. You can optionally choose a folder or notebook where you'd like the new documents to go by clicking on choose a folder or notebook, and clicking on Home to navigate your Workspace.
- Click on Import. Each file will create a separate RSpace document, named after the file.
Any images embedded in the Word documents will be extracted, and added to the Image Gallery. The original file won’t be added to the Gallery automatically. You can add the originals yourself (see "Uploading to the Gallery" in The Gallery).
Importing RSpace XML archives
To import an XML archive:
- First, obtain an XML archive of the data to import (see Export Options & Export Formats).
- Navigate to My RSpace > Export/Import (you will have to use the right arrow to view the option)
- Use Browse in the right Import panel to choose a zipped RSpace XML archive. In order for import to work successfully, please don’t modify the XML archive. If you want to unzip and look inside, make a copy first and leave the original export unaltered.
- Click on Import.
- A report will be generated, summarising what documents were imported, what global IDs were assigned to them, and any errors encountered.
The current behaviour is that:
- All the data in the archive is imported into the Workspace of the user performing the import, and they become the document owner.
- Documents are imported as ‘new’ documents and will not overwrite existing data.
- Sharing information is lost on import, so documents need to be reshared on import.
- Groups and user accounts are not automatically generated (since you might be importing into an installation that does not have those groups or users).
See Migrating Data from Community or Test Server to Enterprise for more details.