Create a Container 🧪
There are three types of containers:
List containers are the most flexible container type, and simply show the contents as a list. You can store as many items as you want in a list container.
Grid containers represent containers with a defined structure, for example, 96 well plates or -70 freezer boxes, and show the contents in a grid of a specified size. They also have a list view.
Visual containers allow you to specify locations onto an image you upload. They also have a list view.
Creating a container
To create a container:
- In the sidebar, click on Create > Container.You can open the sidebar on mobile using the top-left menu icon.
- The right panel will display the container creation menu. Fill in the relevant fields, such as adding a name, and filling in relevant optional fields.
- Specify the container type, and whether it can store samples and/or containers. You can't change the container type once it's chosen.
- For a list container, you don't need to specify additional properties.
- For a grid container, specify the number of columns and rows in the grid.
- For a visual container, add an image and edit it if needed. You will need to use Edit Locations either during or after creation to define the locations of items within this container in order to use it (see Edit Locations in Visual Containers).
- Scroll down and click Save once you have filled in all relevant details.
- The left panel will refresh so you can view your newly created container. On mobile, click on the left arrow to go back to the list of containers.
You might want to move items into the container, or move the container itself: to achieve this, see Move Samples and Containers.
You can also link to this container: see Link to a Sample or Container (Global ID).