Create a Sample 🧪
You can make individual samples based on sample templates or bulk import samples from an existing sample sheet (see Import Samples into Inventory).
To create a sample:
- In the sidebar, click on Create > Sample. You can open the sidebar on mobile using the top-left menu icon.
- The right panel will open the sample creation wizard, which you can advance through by scrolling. Give your sample a name and pick a sample template. Optionally: add a preview image, an expiry date, and the source of the sample. You can also create your own sample templates: see Create and Use Sample Templates.
- You can also add file attachments, barcodes and custom data fields that are not part of the template, by scrolling to the bottom of the page (see Add a Custom Field to a Sample or Container).
- A sample is always made up of one or more subsamples. Specify the number of subsamples (i.e. aliquots in this case) and the quantity per subsample. The total quantity will be automatically calculated. Optionally, add a description, a storage temperature, an expiry date, and any tags. When done, click on Save.
- You will get confirmation that your sample has been created.
- The left panel will refresh so you can view your newly created sample. On mobile, click on the left arrow to view your samples.
You will find the subsamples of newly created sample on your Bench. You might want to place the sample into a container: to achieve this, see Move Samples and Containers.
Once you have created samples you can choose to copy either the link to a specific sample: see Link to a Sample or Container (Global ID) (i.e., a SET of subsamples) or the link to specific individual subsamples and paste the link into RSpace documents. Alternatively from within an RSpace document, you can create a List Of Materials (LOM) that allows you to locate and specify items you used in your experiments or procedures.