System Requirements for RSpace (for System Admins)
This page lists the fundamental components of the RSpace application, and the software/hardware system setup needed.
RSpace is a web-based application, so end-users can access all functionality through their browsers and no software installation by users is necessary.
- A Java web application packaged as
.warweb application file (provided by RSpace).
- An Apache Tomcat or similar web application server capable of running Java web applications (installed by host).
- A MySQL database server (installed by host).
- A database initialization script (provided by RSpace).
- A Filestore for storing media or other binary files uploaded into RSpace (provided by host). This should be a regular file directory, mounted on a separate drive from the system drive to facilitate OS updates and backup.
Software Requirements for the Web Server
- Ubuntu 18 LTS, Ubuntu 20 LTS, or Debian 10 is preferred. RedHat 8.3 is possible.
- Java SDK version 11, openJDK-based build.
- Apache web server v2.4. RSpace must be configured to support HTTPS using Apache ssl modules
- Apache Tomcat 8.5 or 9.
- MySQL database server 5.7 (Debian, Ubuntu18) or MariaDB 10.3 (Ubuntu 20). RSpace does not yet run on MySQL 8. For small deployments of < 100 users this can be on the webserver; for larger deployments we recommend a dedicated database server.
- The above components are on standard packages in Ubuntu 18LTS, or Ubuntu 20LTS and Debian 10.
- All of these can be installed by the customer IT team but remote install by our technicians is strongly recommended.
- We supply an auxiliary Java application to run on the server to perform document conversions to/from MSOffice format.
- If you want us to do a full end-to-end installation, we just require a standard OS on the server and we will install all required software.
- A Linux-based server with at least 8Gb RAM ( Ubuntu and RedHat Linux are all known to work; we expect other mainstream Linux distributions to work as well).
Here is a very rough estimation of required resources for the main web server, based on our experience managing AWS t2/t3 instances
Number of users
Recommended RAM (Gb)
8 ( t2.large)
16 ( t2.xlarge)
250 - 5000
32 ( t2.2xlarge)
- Sufficient file storage, writable from the web application, to store files uploaded by end users. The default Filestore is a simple file-system accessible from the web server; RSpace just needs to be told the top-level folder of the file-system. The amount of storage depends hugely on the type of research and the users' work and usage of RSpace. Here is a rough estimate based on current usage.
Number of users
Initial storage requirements
for setup and initial few months' usage
Storage should scale
250 - 5000
250GB to 1Tb
- Sufficient disk space for MySQL database; as a rough initial estimate, 10-50Mb per user should be ample to begin with since files and raw data are stored on the filestore, not in the database. The database makes many IO operations. Ideally an SSD drive provides best performance.
- For performance, the minimal performance should be comparable to that of AWS's t2.medium instance, which is our standard server used for up to 50 users. Here is a test of cpu and i/o performance using sysbench on an AWS t2.medium with standard gp2 SSD drive. Performance should be comparable to this for a minimal install.
> sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run
events per second: 354.18
total time: 10.0012s
total number of events: 3543
95th percentile: 2.86
> sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=5G prepare
> sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=5G --file-test-mode=rndrw --max-time=300 --max-requests=0 run
read, MiB/s: 1.75
written, MiB/s: 1.17
total time: 300.3919s
total number of events: 127559
95th percentile: 4.10
events (avg/stddev): 127559.0000/0.00
execution time (avg/stddev): 300.0477/0.00
- RSpace sends emails notifications to users, so access to a mail server is required. We can provide an email relay service.
- RSpace will only run over HTTPS. Therefore, installation of a valid SSL certificate is required. Our staff can generate a CSR from the server once we have access to it.
- RSpace uses additional software components to generate in-browser previews of MSOffice files and DNA sequence files - see Installation of RSpace add-on services for details.
- If you would like RSpace to connect to your SingleSignOn mechanism, extra configuration is needed - please see Setting up SingleSignOn authentication.
Browser Requirements for End-Users