Get Started with Inventory 🧪
RSpace Inventory is a sample management system that is fully integrated with the RSpace ELN. You can learn more on how to access Inventory, information on releases, and provide feedback at the RSpace Inventory Hub.
First steps & initial setup
The following video steps you through the initial setup of Inventory. A written version of the steps is provided below.
- Before you start setting up Inventory:
- Ensure you can access the system through the Inventory tab:
- Decide who is responsible for setting up and keeping Inventory organised: this could be the PI, lab admin, RSpace system admin, inventory manager, or an RSpace power user.
- Watch the full overview video (also available below). You can also browse the Inventory documentation.
- You can schedule Inventory training for your lab by contacting us.
- Create your top-level, lab-owned containers such as rooms, major storage areas, freezers and shelving units (see Create a Container). It is recommended that you set these top-level containers to only contain containers.
Individuals can then create their own containers inside those top-level containers (see Move Samples and Containers). You can use photographs of your actual containers for visual containers or preview images to help users recognise them (see Edit Locations in Visual Containers).
- Work with your colleagues to design and create the lab's most important sample templates (see Create and Use Sample Templates). Encourage your colleagues to make their own personal sample templates too.
- If you have legacy sample data from other systems, convert that data to CSV and import the samples (see Import Samples into Inventory).
- Use the system and encourage your colleagues to use it too. Cooperation & collaboration between individuals is crucial to the creation of consistent conventions, best practises, and definitions of samples and subsamples that will make your lab more efficient and organised.
- Give us feedback on your experience, especially with respect to the roadmap. We need your help to prioritize new features added in future releases.
Full overview video
The following video overviews the main features of Inventory:
All Inventory videos and release updates can also be found on our YouTube playlist.
All Inventory help articles can be found in the Inventory category.
The following articles are a good place to get started with using Inventory: