Use Benches in Inventory 🧪
The Bench is a representation of your real-life personal scientific bench. Benches are a place for storing newly created subsamples and containers, imported subsamples, or anything else that you decide to move into it; for example, you might want to move an item to your Bench if you have checked it out from a freezer and are currently working with it, so your colleagues know that this item can be found with you.
Here's how Benches work:
- Every user is allocated a single Bench. It is not possible to create, delete, or move a Bench
- Newly created items that haven't been moved to a container, including imported subsamples, are automatically added to a user's Bench
- Users can move items to/from their Bench
- Users can view and move items to/from other user's Benches, provided they are members of the same LabGroup
More details on Bench features are provided below.
View and Search Benches
You can quickly access Benches through the sidebar links. My Bench opens up your personal Bench and displays the number of items on your Bench, while Benches lets you browse other users' Benches.
Any new subsamples or containers you've created will be located on your Bench; this includes imported subsamples. You can move items out of your Bench by moving them into a container (more details below).
After clicking on Benches on the sidebar, you can use the Search Group Members' Benches dropdown to select or type in which user's Bench you'd like to view. You can perform actions on these items, such as moving them back to a container, as usual.
Benches in Advanced Search
You can also access Benches through the advanced search, by toggling View Benches. This will enable the Search Group Members' Benches field, in which you can select the user you wish to view the Bench of.
Move Items In and Out of Benches
General moving is documented in Move Samples and Containers. The move dialog provides three navigational buttons: My Bench, Benches, and Containers, which can be used as the new location for an item.
- To move an item into your Bench, choose My Bench in the Move dialog. You can also pick to move the items into a specific container that is already in your Bench, if not the item will simply be moved onto your Bench.
- To move an item out of your Bench, move it to a new location: either another user's Bench, or a container. You can also move items between different user's Benches this way.
- To move a container into the list of containers as a top-level container, select Make top-level.
View the Previous Location of Items on a Bench
In List view, you can change the second column to show the last non-Bench location of an item (see Search Inventory). This is useful for when you want to check items back into the containers they were previously stored in.
You can change the second column using the gear icon on the right to Previous Location: