Edit a Sample or Container 🧪
You can perform various actions on inventory items, depending on permissions, these actions are :
- batch edit
- split (for subsamples only)
- create template (for samples only)
- restore (for items in trash only)
- add a file attachment (in edit mode)
Actions can be accessed right below the title of an item in view mode:
Actions are also available within a context menu that appears wherever item checkboxes can be selected, which allows for bulk actions:
On smaller screens, all context actions might not be visible: use the More actions icon to access all the other actions.
Click on Info to view information about the item, such as date created and modified. The barcode is a placeholder image for now. Click on the arrow to close the panel.
To edit a sample, subsample or container:
- When viewing the item, click on the Edit icon.
- You can now make edits to the fields. Some fields, such as the container type, cannot be changed after creation. Click on Save when done to confirm the changes.
To edit multiple items (of the same type) at the same time:
- Select up to 25 search results, and click "Batch Edit".
- The selected items can be seen in the table at the top. Tap the toggle to open and close.
- You can now make edits to the fields, with the changes applied to all of the items. Enable the field by tapping it's checkbox and then enter a new value.
- Finally, click on save to confirm the changes.
You can duplicate items by clicking on Duplicate. If you are duplicating a subsample, the sample's total quantity will be increased to account for this additional subsample. The duplicated subsample or container will be placed on your Bench.
Moving is documented in Move Samples and Containers.
Transferring is documented in Permissions and Sharing in Inventory.
To split a subsample:
- When viewing a sample, scroll down and select the subsample using the checkbox, then choose Split from the context menu, or choose Split from the context menu when viewing a subsample.
- Input the total number of subsamples you want to split this subsample into, then click on Split.
- The quantity of the original subsample will be split among the resulting subsamples evenly.
If you wish to split a subsample into uneven quantities, you can duplicate the subsample and edit the quantities in the Quantity field to reflect the split.
The new subsamples resulting from a split will be placed on your Bench.
Creating templates is documented in Create and Use Sample Templates.
You can move items into the trash by clicking on the Trash button when viewing them. It is likely to appear in the More actions menu based on your screen size:
You can also move to trash in bulk by selecting items using their checkboxes in the left panel, then selecting Trash:
By default, search results only return Current items. You can view and restore items that are in the trash by changing the Status filter to Current & In Trash, or to In Trash only.
You can also use the Status filter on a sample to view and/or restore its deleted subsamples.
An "in trash" status indicator is present on a trashed item, and editing and other actions are not available. You can click Restore to move the item out of the trash.
Add a File Attachment
If you have files that should be stored in connection to an inventory item, these can be uploaded when editing the item, through "Attachments" section, or sample field.
More details: Add a File Attachment to an Inventory Item.